Saturday, March 15, 2008

Health Hazard Warnings!!!

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) studies have shown that indoor air pollutants are 3 to 70 times higher than outdoors!

The United States of America Federal Code of Regulations exempts manufacturers from full labeling of products if used for personal, family or household care. [Source USA FCR: Section 1910.1200C, Title 29, Section 1500.82 2Q1A]
Out of 2,435 pesticide poisonings in a one-year period, over 40% were due to exposure to disinfectants and similar cleaning products in the home. [Source: State of California Study]

Household bleaches which claim to disinfect are classified as pesticides under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. Inadvertently mixing bleach with other cleaners that contain ammonia produces a toxic chloramines gas. These toxic gases can cause coughing, loss of voice, a feeling of burning or suffocation, and even death. [Source: Guide to Hazardous Products Around the Home, Household Hazardous Waste Project, 1989]

Formaldehyde is a highly toxic substance. (also used to embalm dead people). It is a known cancer-causing agent. It damages the neurological connectors in the body. It is an irritant to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs and may cause: skin reactions, ear infections, headaches, depression, asthma, joint pain, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, disorientation, phlebitis, fatigue, vomiting, sleep disturbances, and laryngitis.

One in five people are sensitive to formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is commonly found in:

drugs, mouthwash, hairspray, cosmetics, cleaning products, perfumes, waxes, shampoo, hair setting lotions, air fresheners, fungicides, floor polishes, dry cleaning solvents, fingernail polish, laundry spray starch, toothpaste and antiperspirants.

Warning labels on containers refer only to toxic hazards from ingestion; however, only 10% of health problems from chemicals are caused by ingestion. 90% are caused by the inhalation of vapors and absorption of particles.

No comments: