Monday, December 8, 2008

Willing to give up your child

I was watching the news the other night and there was this single mom that lived in New Mexico and she had a 9 year old little girl. She worked the graveyard shift at WalMart. And she was unable to find daycare at night while she worked.

I am a single mom and understand this dilemma. All previous jobs I had since I have had kids, had a cut off time so I would have time to pick my kids up at daycare in time since they closed at 6:00 p.m. It's hard to work 2nd or 3rd shift when you have kids and no family around. Daycare closes at 6:00 p.m. here.

But, this lady was on the news saying that she was in a position where she had to choose between her job and her 9 year old daughter. And that she was willing to give up her daughter to anyone that could take care of her in order to keep her job. I could not believe what I was hearing. There is no job that would even make me consider giving up my child/children.

If it was really that bad, and there was no daycare, no other jobs, no family, I would ask a friend to help take care of my children....And if you don't have any friends, then I would get the county to step in and take care of my kids until I could make arrangements to take care of my kids. At least you can get your children back from the county....But when you give a child up to a stranger, you won't. I don't understand how a person (mom) would be willing to go on the news and announce that she was willing to give her daughter up in order to keep her WalMart job.

Now how is your child supposed to feel when he or she sees the news down the road, about their mom willing to give their child up in order to keep their job? I just don't get it.

Awww, to my children.... I love you both more than anything!!!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Alyssa,

Thank you very much for the compliment. I really do appreciate it.

Cindy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.