As cold weather approaches, so does the flu season. But there are several things you can do to keep from getting the flu.
1) Get the flu shot. The best way to deal with the flu is to prevent it. Many people worry that a flu shot will give them the flu. Because the vaccine does not have a live germ, it cannot cause infection.
2) Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Teach your children to do the same. The flu germ spreads through the air.
3) Wash your hands often with soap and water. The flu gem can live on doorknobs, telephones and other everyday items.
4) Eat healthy foods and get plenty of rest. Healthy habits help your body fight off germs.
5) Ask your primary care provider if you or a member of your family should get a pneumonia shot. The flu, if not cared for, could lead to pneumonia. This is especially true for the elderly, young children, and those with certain medical conditions.